Monday, February 27, 2017

Father & Son - a rusty layout

A few asked me last week how I get my ideas for classes, so let me take you on a little trip. 

This time the spark of inspiration was started during a conversation with the amazing Di Garling, as Janet and I were taking her to the airport after her class at Workshop Wonders. She mentioned that she works with the team hosting the More Than Words challenge and that not that many Aussies enter the challenges. February's challenge was to use an ampersand and take inspiration from the word "together". Most of the other entries are floral and super pretty, so naturally I had to go manly and rusty. What else?! 
Challenge accepted! (find the challenge post here)
1.) 
I cut out a huge ampersand on the Cricut and found a photo of my 2 men together. I just love how they look so alike in this photo. Please don't giggle at the windswept hair. It is not a comb over.
2.) 
Toni had given me some Finnabair rust paint to use for class and it's amazing. I watched a YouTube video to see how she uses it and in it she glued a whole lot of bits and pieces on an old camera before painting it all in rust. (find it here) So, that's where I got the idea to stick odds and ends together on the ampersand

3.) 
The pipes chipboard just happened to be there, so it got rusted too. A few drips from the tap are a must and some of the pipes form the frame for the photo. 
4.) 
Susan has been asking how to make a zipper flower. This is not strictly a flower, but the same principle applies. It somehow ended up rusty too. Can you see a common thread?
5.)
I also found this layout super inspiring:

 I ended up using one little black circle that also wound up (no, not rusty but golden) under the zipper bit.
6.)
 After using Janet's new cityscape chipboard, I remembered I had a stencil a bit like that and I had to dig it out.

As you can see, it's hard to say where my ideas come from. They come from all over the place. Some take hold and some just make me dig out some stuff I forgot I had. 
Actually I'm just super happy I came up with a grungy, rusty class project that I love and I hope you do too. After all, I had a class to plan and now you're all invited to do this project with me! 
You will get to do all the above mentioned, including building your rusty ampersand from scratch (please bring your own windswept hairdo and/or comb over) Maybe you have a couple of bits and pieces you'd like to incorporate, as long as they can get rusty!
Grab a 4x6" landscape photo, your tools and stinky glue and meet me at Scrappin' With Style @ TJ's. 
Times as usual:
Monday 9:30am
Tuesday 10am & 6pm
No hidden cost, all this for $25

See you in class!

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous take on our challenge this month! I love your ampersand how creative! All the best from MTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Geli you have totally rocked our challenge. I am so glad you found some time to join in, and what an amazing job you have done of it too. I am loving the whole rust theme here, looks fabulous. I have some of that rust powder & have never used it. Now you have inspired me to give it a go. Good luck with your class,I'm sure it will be a huge success.Thanks again for playing along with us at More Than Words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great layout, the ladies will love making everything rusty!!
    Love that you've shared what inspires you too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful take on the challenge, your layout is amazing!!! Thanks for joining us at More Than Words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work on the ampersand is so original! Thank you for joining at More than words challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb layout Geli. That rusty ampersand is such a unique and fascinating take on the challenge. Thank you also for featuring my layout. So glad it inspired you.
    Louise xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous! What a splendid grungy ampersand!! Thank you for playing along with us at More Than Words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow - I'm lovin' that grungy ampersand! Thanks for joining us at More Than Words.

    ReplyDelete